posted on: July 12, 2014
posted on: July 10, 2014
(Don’t mind the crazy Teva tan lines on my feet)
I’m that girl with my head so far in the clouds I forget where I am… a lot. Most people throughout my life have guessed me to be shy but it’s not exactly the case. I’m just stuck in my mind, dreaming, drifting & wandering almost constantly. No, it’s not really a bad thing… but… grounding yourself is important not just for you health, but also for your life. If you’re constantly drifting away, filled with anxiety, or have little to no direction in your life it’s time to get grounded.
Grounding is great for relieving anxiety, lowering blood pressure and helping keep your reality on track. I began using grounding techniques a while back and I have noticed an increase in my happiness and I’m more at peace with life in general.
So, how can you ground yourself?…. I ground myself in three different ways through yoga, grounding meditation, and walking barefoot on the earth. Getting your body moving through yoga and focusing on your breath is an amazing way to get grounded. After a session of yoga there is literally an instant change in your body and mind. It’s like this crazy shift in your life happens. You feel at one with all living things that come before you, and life is so beautiful.
If you aren’t familiar with meditation then a grounding meditation might take a little practice before you get the full effect. There are many guided grounding meditations on YouTube that are a great help for new meditators. I achieve the best sessions by listening to binaural beats dedicated to grounding through headphones. As the beats flow through you, envision your feet bare upon the earth growing roots. As the roots of your feet grow stronger, imagine them growing through the earth all the way to it’s core. Once they reach the core, imagine the light energy of the earth moving up through the roots ultimately consuming your whole body. At the end of these sessions I always feel a surge of endorphins, extreme energy, and at one with God and the earth.
The earth’s energy is vital for a healthy life, but I’ll save that for another post. When you walk barefoot along the earth you gain it’s energy. The best time to do this is when the ground is wet…. basically go walk in the mud or along the beach. Submerge your feet into the earth. Since the earth is a natural source of electrons and electrical fields, it’s vital for your immune system and health as a whole to spend time in nature.
There are so many other ways to ground yourself. Don’t stay confined to the three I’ve listed; do a little research and find the ones that work best for you. The benefits of grounding are amazing and almost instant. It’s a for sure life changing practice.
Peace be with you!
posted on: July 5, 2014
posted on: June 28, 2014
posted on: June 24, 2014
I’ve been 25 for a month now and taken an immense amount of time to reflect on this quarter of a century I’ve conquered. Thinking back, I’ve realized I’ve learned a lot yet still have so much more knowledge to gain. So, compiled into this chaotic mind of mine I’ve found 25 of the most important things I’ve learned in a quarter of a century.
1. Life is hard, but easier than we make it out to be. (Stop complaining, your life is beautiful)
2. Learning to become best friends with yourself is a smart decision.
3. Becoming self sufficiently educated is way more valuable than any knowledge you’ll ever buy from an institution.
4. Never spend too much time on your hair, because natural messy hair is a beautiful way of life.
5. Meditation will help you keep your sanity.
6. Being called weird is a huge compliment.
7. A dog will always be more loyal than any human you’ve ever made a connection with in this world.
8. It’s liberating to feel beautiful when naked.
9. Surrender to your crazy sporadic ideas, you’ll be glad you did in the end.
10. Money & power will never define your worth.
11. Never stay at a job you don’t love, because you’re life is so much bigger than a career.
12. Always let your past mistakes be the best lessons you learn from.
13. Less makeup means more beauty.
14. Find spirituality and you’ll find life. Find God and you find love.
15. Imagination is rare in adulthood. If you still have it don’t lose it.
16. If your heart says yes always take it’s orders.
17. Materialism is a plague, learn to live with less & you’ll surely find happiness.
18. Nature is the ultimate classroom & God is the best professor.
19. Live like you mean it, some souls would love to still be hear living it up with the ones they love.
20. Music is the best drug you’ll ever experience.
21. Don’t waste your time in front of too many screens. (TV, phone, PC, etc.)
22. You have a spirit within you, listen to her often.
23. Never use an umbrella in a rain shower, the drops on your skin are gifts from the earth.
24. Don’t take life’s natural beauty for granted.
25. Love is the most important thing you can have & give in this life. If you find it never let it go, but if you do, always keep it’s memories safe in your soul.
Peace be with you!
posted on: May 28, 2014
More people are starting to recognize the importance of detoxing. Though detoxing through juice cleanses a few times a year is a good idea, I’m more adamant about detoxing weekly to keep my mental and physical health balanced. I’ll eventually post on all the ways I detox but today I’m going to talk about my favorite… soaking in my mud concoction.
What are we detoxing?… So, basically everyday you come in contact with toxins that absorb into your body. These come from foods and drinks we consume or pollutants in the air and it’s pretty much inevitable that they consume us.
How do they harm us?… Prolonged periods of toxins in the body can lead to illness, lack of energy, and digestive problems just to name a few. Toxins in your body literally affect EVERY part of your body.
I started detoxing weekly when I noticed my energy levels were depleting and I was only in my early twenties. My stress and anxiety levels were through the roof and I just felt like my body was rejecting me. This caused me to research ways to boast my energy in a much healthier way than my teenage energy drink addiction that I had finally overcame a few years earlier (Red Bull is TERRIBLE for you BTW!). Research lead me to soaking, and my love for natural mixtures helped me create a soak that saved my sanity at times and gave me physical energy
After trying out a few ingredients I finally found the three that have harmonized into body and soul bliss.
2 handfuls of Epson salt, one handful of Aztec clay, essential oil (recommended amount for bath)
Epson Salt- A lot of people soak in this for muscle pains and body aches but it carries much more healing abilities than soothing the body. These little salt crystals can also heal the mind and soul on top of pulling toxins out of the body. When we stress our bodies are drained of magnesium and our adrenaline levels are increased. When Epsom salt is absorbed through the body magnesium levels are replenished. Magnesium increases energy, stamina, and the chemical serotonin in the brain that keeps us happy and relaxed. Harmful chemicals and metals that become toxic are drawn from the body by sulfate in the salt. Epsom salt also increases muscle function, prevents hardening of arteries, blood clots, and makes insulin more effective.
Aztec Healing Clay- When the clay comes in contact with the skin it causes a negative charge that ultimately draws out toxins and impurities through the skin due to the epidermis carrying a positive charge. Make sure the clay is 100% natural.
Essential Oil- This gives a bit of aromatherapy to your soaking process. My favorite oil to use for this detox is a blend by Aura Cacia called Cool Hottie. It’s great to balance out emotions and hormones during stressful times. Also it has a cooling effect on the body since it was partially made for people experiencing hot flashes. You can play around with this and find what oil works best for you, but be mindful of what you’re using and do a little research on it before adding it to your bath.
For an additive you can place lavender or rose petals into the water, but lately I have been adding fresh mint from the garden into my water that has worked great. I soak for twenty to thirty minutes and turn on some guided meditation or frequency meditation during the soak to heal my soul as well as my body. After doing this once a week for a few weeks I recognized drastic changes in my physically and mental states. I have so much more energy and an increase in happiness.
Peace be with you!
posted on: May 15, 2014
I used to be one of those girls who spent hundreds of dollars every year on skincare products. I racked up so many points at Sephora it was almost embarrassing when I got to the counter and they repeated my reward points available. Though I’m not too big on makeup, skincare has always been extremely important to me. For months now I’ve been making most of my own skincare and beauty products for many reasons. One is that it’s significantly cheaper than running to Sephora, but the biggest is that I know exactly what’s going into the products I’m using because I’m the one concocting the product. These big companies and magazines make you believe that if it’s not expensive and you aren’t using their products then you’re doomed to have wrinkles and hideous skin. Such a lie!… But for the longest time I believed it all. After repeatedly hearing horror stories about the effects of synthetic chemicals in products I decided to educate myself and start making my own. At first it seemed a little overwhelming but it’s seriously been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The impact of natural homemade products on my skin has been phenomenal… no more acne and super smooth glowy youthful skin!
Since I’ve had so much personal success with making natural products I want to share my most loved ingredients and concoctions on the blog. So from now on be on the look out for new posts including natural skin recipes and the awesome ingredients from nature that can cure almost anything.
What we’re trying to avoid here:
Parabens- It’s a type of preservative used to prevent the growth of bacteria. It might sound like a good idea but it’s been found to cause breast cancer. Traces of parabens have been found in breast cancer tumors.
Phthalates- Basically a bunch of chemicals used to increase softness in plastic. Another chemical that’s been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer and also cause birth defects. Apparently there’s a loophole in the law that makes it okay for companies to leave this ingredient off the label so you never know if it’s actually in some products.
Formaldehyde- Another preservative that increases cancer risk. It’s also harmful to the immune system and causes allergic reactions.
Toluene- It’s an extremely harmful solvent that causes respiratory issues and can also harm a fetus when used by pregnant mothers.
Those are only a few of the harmful chemicals that most skincare and beauty products contain. Take a look at the labels on your favorite products. If you don’t know what they are, research them and figure out exactly that you’re putting on your body…. BUT remember that loophole where they don’t have to disclose everything. So, do you really know what you’re putting on your body that’s ultimately ending up in your body?
posted on: May 8, 2014
It really trips me out when life hands you situations they usually tend to come in bulk. I guess maybe I should be grateful for the fact that they aren’t scattered throughout life evenly in a never ending cycle of chaos. So many things are changing in my life. I’ve got an equal mix of beautiful opportunities blended with an eruption of emotions that make me want to run away. I have a lot of forgiveness that I need to give to myself that I’ve just now discovered this year. That slap in the face from reality hits you… HARD. I have to admit the slap hurts. Maybe even more hurt than I’ve ever experienced.
Do you know what’s beautiful though?… We make it.
I’ve made it before 100% of the time, and I’ll make it again this time. Everyday we survive holds a learning experience for our next days to come.
We move forward. We forgive. We love. We breakdown.
I want to escape and I want to run away to a little beach hut and begin again. Maybe no one would find me and I could start over. Running isn’t the answer, but it sure sounds like one hell of a good idea sometimes. Until the chaos resides I’ll just close my eyes and dream I’m swimming away from anything that might break my spirit.
My spirit is way too happy to let a few of life’s changes break my internal laughter.
Peace be with you!
posted on: May 6, 2014
Everyone has heard of chia seeds. You either remember them from your childhood in chia pet form or you know about their health benefits. Though tiny in size, they are seriously magical for your health. Here are just a few of the benefits these little beauties contain.
- Great Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Chia contains some of the richest forms of fatty acids produced from plants. This means they are great for reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol levels, and increasing cognitive performance.
- Rich in Antioxidants- This means they help fight off Cancer, aging, and free radicals that we come in contact with everyday.
- Excellent Source of Fiber- Two tablespoons of chia seeds a day will give you one third of the recommended daily intake of fiber. This is essential for a healthy digestive system.
- Maintain Healthy Weight- The minerals in chia seeds help you maintain a healthy weight by helping energize your metabolism and keeping you full and satisfied in between meals.
- Great Protein- Chia seeds are also a great source of protein and can act as a replacement for eggs. They keep you feeling full and increase the nutrient content you receive from the foods you eat.
- They are Gluten Free!
Obviously most of us are way too busy in life to create tons of recipes that contain chia seeds. So, here are a few of my favorite easy and fast ways to incorporate two tablespoons of chia into my daily life. The seeds basically have no flavor, so chances are you will not be able to taste the difference when adding them to the following. However, a little FYI, they do have a gel coating that forms when in contact with moisture so do not be alarmed.
- Make your own crunchy peanut butter by adding one tablespoon of chia seeds to two tablespoons of natural peanut butter and honey.
- When making your morning oatmeal add a tablespoon of chia and you won’t even be able to taste the difference.
- Eat yogurt for a midday snack with an added tablespoon of chia seeds.
- Make an energizing afternoon drink PACKED with antioxidants by making some cold green tea with lemon and a tablespoon of chia seeds.
Stay healthy and enjoy these easy chia incorporations!
Peace be with you!